Wherefore Art Thou Meaning?

"Wherefore Art Thou Meaning?" Many times while reading Shakespeare this is the main question on my mind. Through my own pondering & writing and hopefully some comments from others, I hope to find some answers.

Monday, February 27, 2012

"Tweethis" Statement

I posted my "Tweethis" statement online on multiple social networking sites, such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Goodreads.  My only responses were on Facebook.  The "Tweethis" statement was "Ophelia killing herself through drowning is a symbol of cleansing herself from the social roles and abuse that she had taken for so long."  My fiance responded with the fact that suicide is never the answer, and that is very true.  My paper is on why that was the only choice Ophelia felt she had left.  

 My friend Josh, who recently changed his major from English Teaching to English with an emphasis in Creative Writing.  He liked my theory and led me to another work, which I sadly have not had time to read.  This support of my theory and the responses to my discussion on Goodreads have helped me to see that my "Tweethis" statement is valid, and that people actually care about it.


I had taken a new direction from my original thinking by focusing on the decision of drowning and of the loss of identity at the loss of Ophelia's father, because she no longer had him to make all of her decisions.  From reading the responses online, I knew I was headed in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment