Wherefore Art Thou Meaning?

"Wherefore Art Thou Meaning?" Many times while reading Shakespeare this is the main question on my mind. Through my own pondering & writing and hopefully some comments from others, I hope to find some answers.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Prezi on Ophelia

I decided to look at some presentations on Prezi to see how others were interpreting Ophelia.

The first one describes how it is difficult to pinpoint Ophelia's character and explores different interpretations of Ophelia in multiple media forms.  This was probably my favorite Prezi presentation that I found, because of the variety of views that it gave.  



I particularly liked this music video called "Ophelia" that is supposed to be from Hamlet's perspective.

The next presentation that caught my eye was "Ophelia The Suicidal Lover.  I really liked how it presented Ophelia with "helper's syndrome," where some girls like to be in relationships where they are needed to help the other person.


Another interesting title caught my attention, "Welcome to Crazy Town, Ophelia."  This presentation basically tears the character of Ophelia apart and says that Ophelia is a symbol but a necessary one.  I really liked the style of the presentation, but it goes against what I am trying to prove.  I want to find literary proof against the assumptions made in this presentation.  I feel that this will help to strengthen my argument for my paper.



This next presentation highlights how Ophelia is told to do everything she thinks and does, even being told that her own love for Hamlet is a delusion.  I feel that this presentation would look a little more professional if it did not have so many spelling errors.  



This final presentation really highlights Ophelia's insanity well, especially in the BBC clip.  When Ophelia looks into the shattered mirror, her reflection shows her shattered self, her loss of reality.  This presentation really follows one of the themes for my paper.  It discusses how her father had such control on her and made all of her decisions, so after he dies, she has no one to tell her what to do; she is lost, because she lost part of her obedient identity, forever loyal to her father.  Anderson goes on to say that her rambling speech is because she does not know what to say.  Her father used to give her script of what to say, but that is no longer there for her.



When Ophelia visits Hamlet's mother and uncle, Ophelia says that people know who they are, but not what they may be.  Do you think that Ophelia knows who she is at the point that she utters these words?


No comments:

Post a Comment