Wherefore Art Thou Meaning?

"Wherefore Art Thou Meaning?" Many times while reading Shakespeare this is the main question on my mind. Through my own pondering & writing and hopefully some comments from others, I hope to find some answers.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Taking the Plunge Into Research...Getting My Feet Wet In Social Media


Doesn't she look like she is just releasing herself from life and from her social roles?

Honestly, at the end of this week, the picture above represented me pretty well.  Nothing seemed to go right for this class this week.  I was not able to do as many social connections as I wanted, simply because I did not have any time...which may have been because nothing went as planned for my research.  

Usually, I am pretty skilled at finding articles and making them fit my paper, but the articles that I had found an interest in and that applied well for my paper this time around could not be found anywhere on the internet for free.  As I explored more and more, I got pretty discouraged, but then I thought, "Why not try interlibrary loan?," which I have recently realized the value of as I have been doing research for my other research paper this semester, on Maori English for my linguistics class (I am pretty excited about it!).  Now, I am just waiting to hear back from them to get the articles, and I will continue exploring my options for research.

Before all the failure of article finding, I had watched the 1948 version of Hamlet, which was valuable, because a line caught my attention which never had before, "Frailty, thy name is woman."  Hamlet is referring to his mother's quick mourning time and marriage to his uncle.  But he is also referring to all woman and what he considers their normal fickle behavior.  That of course also made me more aware of all the violence, physical and emotional, that Ophelia goes through, especially from Hamlet and her father.  In a way, Ophelia killing herself through drowning is a symbol of cleansing herself from the social roles and abuse that she has taken for so long; she is freeing herself from the world.

I have not used Prezi much at all, so I thought that might be a good place to explore for what others are saying about Ophelia.  I found multiple presentations, and I posted a few of my favorite ones in a recent post along with what I learned from each one.  I gained some insight on how Ophelia lost part of her identity when she lost her father, because he had taken such strong control over her life.

My social connections were not as many as I would have wished, but I am really enjoying hearing what others have to say on my Goodread's discussion page.  I really enjoyed Katie's words on how many articles have a sexist undertone, because it is very true.  Tomorrow, I am hoping to write many of the scholars of whom I have read their articles on Ophelia.  It would be so exciting if I could hear back from at least one of them!

Also for this week, I need to get my "tweethis" statement finalized and posted on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+, to try to get some feedback on it.  I am planning on getting my first draft written and posted.  Then, I will give feedback on my peers' papers and hopefully get some feedback for my own paper.



No comments:

Post a Comment