Wherefore Art Thou Meaning?

"Wherefore Art Thou Meaning?" Many times while reading Shakespeare this is the main question on my mind. Through my own pondering & writing and hopefully some comments from others, I hope to find some answers.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ophelia Bibliography


The research process has been difficult.  Many of the articles that I want to read about my topic have been difficult to come by in complete form.  I am hoping to have more success as I keep exploring.  I searched all the databases online for these articles, but access is not available online through BYU or anywhere online where I have looked without a paid subscription.  These sources I have found I am waiting on through interlibrary loan.  I know this takes more time, but I feel these articles are more applicable to my topic.  Hopefully, I will get access to them soon.

Tweethis: Ophelia is abused physically and emotionally by the men in her life; this continual abuse and emotional confusion lead to her insanity.

Dane, Gabrielle. "Reading Ophelia's Madness." Exemplaria 10 (1998): 405-23.
Dane argues from a feminist perspective that in Hamlet Ophelia's psychic identity is circumscribed by a male-dominated world, from which her madness- a feminist means of protest, an act of self-empowerment- offers an escape.

Finkelstein, Richard. "Differentiating Hamlet: Ophelia and the Problems of Subjectivity." Renaissance and Reformation 21, no. 2 (1997): 5-22.
By considering the positions Hamlet explores with regards to the nature of intention, the nature and acquisition of knowledge, the effectiveness of reason, and their relation to psychological integrity....argues that Shakespeare evaluates the play's participation in the project of defining subjectivity"--particularly through the challenge that Ophelia poses to Hamlet's, Claudius's, and Polonius's assumptions about the self. English summary, 5.
I found this article while exploring online.  It seems to fit what I am trying to prove in my paper.  Ophelia is used to challenge the assumptions about the self.  I have requested the article and am simply waiting for access to it.

Harris, Arthur John. "Ophelia's 'Nothing': 'It is the false steward that stole his master's daughter.'" Hamlet Studies 19 (1997): 20-46.
Finding that comments by other characters about Ophelia emphasize her sexuality and that her mad ravings suggest a liaison with Claudius, expands J. Max Patrick's "The Problem of Ophelia" (1953) to argue that Ophelia is a victim of sexual abuse and murder at the hand of the King.
I saw that Harris was a writer on Shakespeare's works.  As I explored, I found this article which seems perfect for my paper, because I am trying to prove that Ophelia's personality and insane behavior at the end of the play are a result of abuse from the male characters in her life.

Jenkins, Ronald Bradford. "The Case against the King: The Family of Ophelia vs. His Majesty King Claudius of Denmark." Journal of Evolutionary Psychology 17, nos. 3-4 (1996): 206-18.
Argues that Ophelia is a victim of Claudius's, rather than Hamlet's, machinations: Claudius seduced and impregnated Ophelia and then murdered her to prevent the birth of their bastard son.
While looking for information about Ophelia online, I found a site with articles about certain characters in Hamlet.  This one goes along with the article above and seems quite interesting.  I really want to see the textual proof for this paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment